The Birmingham Civic SocietyTree

Main

Heritage

Planning

Links

This group is less formalised that the other sub-committees and was set up due to the increasing focus on parks and open spaces in Birmingham. In 2005 the Birmingham Open Spaces Forum was set up and as the Society had contributed to the creation and layout of many of Birmingham's parks in the early part of the twentieth century it was felt appropriate that a specialist group was set up.

The group has been involved in the city-wide consultation concerning parks strategy and also the use and preservation of playing fields. More recently the Society has been involved in the Street Tree Scrutiny Review which resulted in the launch of Trees for Birmingham in April 2006. The Society has entered into a partnership with the City Council and Trees for Cities to increase Birmingham's street trees to 100,000 by 2010.

As regards the history of the Society in parks and open spaces, these are listed below:

Lickey Hills
A Guide to the Lickey Hill was produced in 1919

Daffodil Park, Northfield
In February 1920 ten acres of meadowland were purchased and gifted to the city provided that the Society was consulted in an re-planning of the meadows

Kings Norton Park
In October 1920 25½ acres of land at Kings Norton were purchased and afterwards presented to the city. The Society also designed and paid for the formal gardens, gates on the Pershore Road side and concrete benches.

 

Sutton Park
Following the success of the Lickey Hill Guide the Society published another guide in 1922, this time covering Sutton Park.

Cannon Hill Park
Redesigned the park entrance in Pebblemill Road towards Queen's Ride to include lawns, yew hedges and herbaceous borders. The Societry also designed the bridge that spans the River Rea near the MAC.

Highbury Park
In 1923 the Society purchased 42 acres of land known as the Henburys and gifted it to the city, which doubled the size of what we know today as Highbury Park.

Muntz Park
In 1923 the society re-designed tha area of the park known as the Dell and paid £300 towards the cost.

Aston Park
The formal beds were re-designed by the society to include a new east forecourt and central avenue with the extension and revision of the gardens completed by 1926.

The parapet wall of the western gardens was rebult to include steps and Portland stone urns designed and paid for by the Society were in place by 1927. To crown the scheme a fountain depicting the greek god of Shepherds and pastures, Pan, designed by William Bloye was unveiled on 26th May 1934 by Sir Gilbert Barling, bart.

Chamberlain Park, Ladywood
Design and layout of the park in 1923.

Perry Hall Park, Perry Barr
Preparation and execution of a design for a new entrance and moat garden in 1930.

Other links of interest:

River Rea Heritage Trail



Citizenship

Trees

Events

Tree
Civic 2